Regulations | Illustrations and Additional Information
ATTENTION: In-season changes to recreational groundfish regulations are pending, and expected to take effect in mid-October. Please check the In-Season Ocean Fishing Regulation Changes web page or call the groundfish regulations hotline at (831) 649-2801 for an update before engaging in fishing for groundfish.
- 2017-2018 Saltwater Sport Fishing Regulations
Regulations effective March 1, 2017 – February 28, 2018 unless otherwise noted.
This is the annual sport fishing regulations booklet distributed in March.
- 2017-2018 Sport Fishing Regulations Supplement
Regulations effective through February 28, 2018 unless otherwise noted
This is the annual supplement that contains final 2017 ocean salmon seasons and other fishing regulations. The full text of Section 29.15 Abalone is included here along with up-to-date Pacific halibut regulations and freshwater salmon and trout fishing information.
- 2017 In-Season Ocean Fishing Regulation Changes
This page provides links to CDFW news releases detailing the reasons behind in-season regulatory changes as well as a summary of changes.
- California Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations Map
Up-to-date sport fishing regulations online - just click on the map to see regulations for your area.
- California Marine Protected Area Maps and Regulations
- Summaries of 2017 Recreational Groundfish Fishing Regulations
- Ocean Salmon Season Information
- Updated Dungeness and Rock Crab Season Information
Illustrations and Additional Information
California Fishing Passport
A fishing incentive and recognition program to highlight and promote fishing throughout the state. Pick up your free copy of the California Fishing Passport
book listing 150 different popular fresh and saltwater finfish and shellfish that occur throughout the state. Try to catch one of every species listed, and you will receive stamps in your passport book documenting each achievement.
- Fort Ross Red Abalone Closure Map (PDF)
New regulations (Section 29.15(b)(1)) effective January 1, 2014
- Demonstration Video: California Abalone Reporting and Tagging Requirements
This video shows abalone sport divers and rock pickers how to comply with abalone regulations enacted April 2008.
- Black, Blue Rockfish ID Flyer
This flyer lists identifying features that can be used to differentiate between black rockfish and blue rockfish.
- Canary, Vermilion, Yelloweye Rockfish ID Flyer
This flyer lists identifying features that can be used to differentiate between canary rockfish, yelloweye rockfish, and vermilion rockfish.
- Measurement Methods for Finfish and Invertebrates (PDF)
- Cowcod Conservation Areas