(a) Personally identifiable information may only be obtained through lawful means.
(b) The purposes for which personally identifiable data are collected shall be specified at or prior to the time of collection, and any subsequent use of the data shall be limited to and consistent with the fulfillment of those purposes previously specified.
(c) Personal data may not be disclosed, made available, or otherwise used for a purpose other than those specified, except with the consent of the subject of the data, or as authorized by law or regulation.
(d) Personal data collected shall be relevant to the purpose for which it is collected.
(e) The general means by which personal data is protected against loss, unauthorized access, use, modification, or disclosure shall be posted, unless the disclosure of those general means would compromise legitimate department objectives or law enforcement purposes.
- Prominently posting this policy in their headquarters and regional offices and on www.wildlife.ca.gov;
- Distributing this policy to each of its employees and contractors who have access to personal data;
- Complying with the Information Practices Act (Civil Code Section 1798 et seq.), the Public Records Act (Government Code Section 6250 et seq.), Government Code Section 11015.5, and all other laws pertaining to information privacy;
- Having employees protect personal information from loss, unauthorized access, use, disclosure, modification or transfer. Employees responsible for collecting, using, maintaining or disseminating records that contain personal information must take appropriate precautions to ensure that proper administrative, technical and physical safeguards are in place and followed to protect the confidentiality of such information; and,
- Ensuring that personal information is removed from or redacted in appropriate circumstances where it is contained in material otherwise subject to disclosure.