Public Notice of Mitigated Negative Declaration for CDFW's 2019 Fisheries Habitat Restoration Project.
As required by the California Environmental Quality Act, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s Fisheries Restoration Grant Program is providing Public Notice of the completion of a Mitigated Negative Declaration for proposed Fisheries Habitat Restoration Project to enhance the capability of streams to produce anadromous salmonids by maintaining, restoring and improving stream habitat essential to salmonid production.
Project Location: Various streams in Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and Sonoma counties.
Description of Project: This project will use grant funds approved by the California Legislature to initiate activities that are designed to restore salmon and steelhead habitat in coastal streams and watersheds that historically produced large populations of salmon and steelhead. Activities like bank stabilization and road decommissioning will improve spawning success for adult salmon and steelhead as well as increase survival for eggs, embryos, rearing juveniles, and downstream migrants. The replacement of barrier culverts with bridges or natural stream bottom culverts will allow adult and juvenile salmonids access to additional spawning and rearing habitat. The installation of instream structures will recruit and sort spawning gravel for adult salmon and steelhead and create summer rearing pools and over-wintering habitat for juveniles. Below are the links to the document.
- Introduction - Project Description and Background Information (PDF)
- Initial Study Environmental Checklist Form (PDF)
- Explanation of Response to Initial Study Environmental Checklist Form (PDF)
- Project Information
- Del Norte (project 3064 (PDF))
- Humboldt (projects 3066, 3075, 3079, 3103, 3132 (PDF))
- Mendocino (projects 2972, 3067, 3073, 3074, 3085, 3091, 3099, 3118 (PDF))
- Monterey (project 3035 (PDF))
- Santa Barbara (project 3106 (PDF))
- Santa Cruz - Sonoma (projects 2968, 3063 (PDF))
- Sonoma (project 3107 (PDF))
- Appendix A. - list of non-physical and action items and location maps (PDF)
- Appendix B. Mitigation Measures, Monitoring and Reporting Program For the 2019 Fisheries Habitat Restoration Project (PDF)
- Appendix C. Protocols for Surveying and Evaluating Impacts to Special Status Native Plant Populations and Sensitive Natural Communities (PDF)
- Appendix D. Procedure for the Programmatic Evaluation of Paleontological Resources for the 2019 Fisheries Habitat Restoration Project (PDF)
- Appendix E. Procedure for the Programmatic Evaluation of Archeological Resources for the 2019 Fisheries Habitat Restoration Project (PDF)
The Mitigated Negative Declaration is available for review at
- CDFW Fisheries Restoration Grant Program
1700 9th Street, 2nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95811
- CDFW Northern Region Office
1455 Sandy Prairie Court, Suite J
Fortuna, CA 95540
- CDFW Bay Delta Region Office
3633 Westwind Blvd.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
- CDFW South Coast Region offices
4665 Lampson Ave.
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
- CDFW Central Region Office
20 Lower Ragsdale Dr. Ste. 100
Monterey, CA 93940
The review period for the mitigated negative declaration starts October 03, 2019 and ends on November 16, 2019. Please mail comments to:
CDFW Watershed Restoration Grants Branch Office
Fisheries Restoration Grant Program
Attn: Mr. Timothy Chorey
P.O. Box 944209
Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
Comments must be received by November 16, 2019
For additional information contact:
- Mr. Trevor Tollefson, Senior Environmental Scientist, (707) 725-1072
- Mr. Manfred Kittel, Coho Salmon Recovery Coordinator, (707) 944-5522
- Ms. Margaret Paul, Senior Environmental Scientist, (831) 649-2882
- Ms. Mary Larson, Senior Environmental Scientist, (562) 342-7186
Previous Mitigated Negative Declarations