Fillmore Hatchery is located in a former citrus grove bordering the Santa Clara River. It was one of the first "warmwater" trout hatcheries constructed in California to produce catchable-sized fish. The water is about 60°F which supports fast growth for trout.
Initial testing of the water supply began in 1941. In 1942, 30 ponds, 4 cottages, a feed room, and a garage building were constructed at a cost of approximately $74,000.
Fillmore Fish Hatchery was dedicated as a state hatchery in 1942. Initially Fillmore was constructed with earthen ponds which were supplied by both spring and well water. 1968 and 1972 saw renovations with construction of a total 40 concrete ponds and two additional wells. Fillmore currently utilizes 1 large well along with one recirculation pump to conserve water. Water temps average at 60 degrees.
Fillmore Hatchery is a production trout hatchery which receives fertile trout eggs from a CDFW egg production hatchery. Once hatched, fish are raised for one year before release for recreational angling. On average 700,000 trout are released yearly into local lakes and streams primarily in Southern California.
Due to unprecedented drought, in 2014 an upgrade was the installation of Endangered Species Fish Rescue Tanks. The system is capable of maintaining a controlled living environment separate from the main hatchery and rearing ponds. It provides controlled water temperatures and oxygenation, recirculation and disease control
Recent photo of Fillmore Hatchery