Camp Cady Wildlife Area

Description

Camp Cady Wildlife Area is approximately 1,900 acres of desert riparian habitat, consisting of screwbean mesquite, tamarisk, willow, cottonwood, saltgrass, saltbush, and cattails along the Mojave River, which passes through the center of the wildlife area. Elevation ranges from 1,680 - 1,760 feet. The area is habitat for Mojave tui chub, hawks, songbirds, and shorebirds.

For more information, call the area at (760) 257-0900 or the Inland Deserts Region Bishop office at (760) 872-1171.

Recreational Opportunities

Waterfowl Hunting  Hiking Trails Hunting with Shotguns Quail Hunting Restrooms

Activities: wildlife viewing, birdwatching, hiking, and hunting

Still standing near the wildlife area headquarters are mud-chinked log cabins dating from the 1900s. Volunteers from Quail Unlimited are onsite as caretakers of the buildings and grounds.

Hunting: Dove, quail and rabbits may be present.

Type C: Camp Cady Wildlife Area does not require the purchase of a hunting pass for entry. Entry permits and/or passes or special drawing may be required for hunting on some Type C wildlife areas.

Facilities: Restrooms. Camping in parking lot at entrance to headquarters and also at the Harvard Road "dove" field.

NOTE: Visitors are responsible for knowing and complying with all regulations pertaining to the use of Department lands.

Please refer to the Public Uses on State and Federal Lands section of the link opens in new windowWaterfowl, Upland Game, and Public Use Regulations (PDF) booklet for both statewide and property-specific regulations. A searchable Property-specific regulations table is also available online.


Area History

The site became known as Camp Cady in 1860 when the U.S. military established a base camp to suppress Piute Indian attacks on wagon trains. The base was named in honor of Major Albemarle Cady of the 6th Infantry at Fort Yuma. The fort was strategically located along the road to Fort Mojave and close to the Salt Lake Trail which crossed the desert to Las Vegas, Nevada. Remnants of the fort can still be seen about one mile from the headquarters buildings.

In 1871, the land and buildings were sold to a civilian stockman and the military mission was finished. At one time, the property was planned and developed for an Arabian horse ranch. Although structures were built for this purpose, this venture never materialized.

Historically, wildlife has been hunted along many areas of the Mojave River. The previous landowner considered developing the area into a private hunting club for upland game and waterfowl species. The property was acquired to preserve desert-riparian habitat and associated species. It was designated as a wildlife area by the Fish and Game Commission in 1980.

Last update : 8/6/2019 2:17:03 PM
Map of Camp Candy WA - Click to enlarge in new window
Click to enlarge

Location

Inland Deserts Region (Region 6)

San Bernardino County

20 miles east of Barstow on Mojave River and about 5 miles north of Newberry Springs

Access: East from Barstow on Interstate 15 to Harvard Road, south to Mojave Trail Road (a dirt road), turn east to headquarters. From Newberry Springs and Hwy 40 take Newberry Road north to Valley Center Road, east to Harvard Road, then north to Mojave Trail Road.

CDFW Lands Viewer