Upland Game Wild Bird hunts are specially managed hunting opportunities on private and public lands for upland game birds including; pheasant, chukar, quail, wild turkey and dove. Hunters must be successfully drawn through the ALDS random drawing application to participate. To apply hunters must have a valid California hunting license. Adult hunters must also purchase an Upland Game Bird Stamp to hunt upland game birds.
- Deadline to apply to these hunts is approximately 21 days prior to the season opener for the species.
- The application period will open approximately 51 days prior to the season opener for the species.
- A single drawing will be conducted within 5 business days of the application deadline.
- To apply for these hunts, please visit our internet sales, sign into your account, select the “Purchase Licenses” link and select “2018 – Hunting” from the menu on the left side of the page. Application may also be purchased at
retail license agents or in person at CDFW License Sales Offices.
- Successful applicants will be notified by USPS mail once the draw has been completed. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified. Drawing results can be viewed by logging into your ALDS account.
- All hunters must apply and be drawn through the ALDS to attend a hunt. Only hunters listed on the official roster will be admitted to a hunt.
- NOTICE: As of July 1, 2016, nonlead shot required when taking upland game birds with a shotgun, except for dove, quail, snipe, and any game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs. In addition, nonlead shot required when using a shotgun to take resident small game mammals, furbearing mammals, nongame mammals, nongame birds, and any wildlife for depredation purposes.
- Effective July 1, 2019, nonlead ammunition will be required when taking any wildlife with a firearm anywhere in California.
Hunting opportunities, application deadlines and other hunt information on Upland Game Wild Bird Hunts are listed under the “game bird” tabs below.