In order to implement AB 711 in a way that is least disruptive to hunters, CDFW reached out to interested parties in a number of ways. CDFW coordinated question and answer sessions at sportsmen’s shows, held meetings with hunting organizations, hosted a series of public workshops throughout the state and sent letters to major ammunition manufacturers.
Nonlead ammunition implementation public outreach was conducted at the following events in 2014:
- January 11 – International Sportsmen’s Expo, Sacramento
- January 15 – Fish and Game Commission Wildlife Resources Committee meeting, Van Nuys
- March 1 – National Wild Turkey Federation meeting, Vacaville
- March 18 – Director’s Hunting Advisory Committee, Sacramento
- March 28-29 – Fred Hall Show, Del Mar
- April 15 – Public Workshop, Ventura
- June 3 – Public Workshop, Eureka
- July 19 – Ducks Unlimited meeting, Corning
- July 19 – Public Workshop, Redding
- July 28 – Wildlife Resources Committee meeting, Sacramento
- July 29 – Public Workshop, Rancho Cordova
- August 5 – Public Workshop, San Diego
- August 12 – Public Workshop, Fresno
- August 19 – Public Workshop, Rancho Cucamonga
- September 17 – Wildlife Resources Committee meeting, Sacramento
- October 25 – Public Workshop, Susanville
In a further effort to make the transition to nonlead ammunition least disruptive to California hunters, CDFW continued public outreach after the adoption of the regulations and implementation plan. The intent of this effort is to inform the public of changes to the hunting regulations and encourage hunters to prepare for these changes.
Outreach efforts include updates to the department website, providing flyers to CDFW hunting license agents and other ammunition retailers for posting in their businesses, CDFW social media, news releases, posting of information at areas where nonlead ammunition is required and sending reminder emails to hunting and conservation groups.
Public outreach will continue throughout the implementation of AB 711.