San Francisco County
The only important inland fishing in the county occurs in Merced lakes which are located near Fort Funston and the San Francisco Zoo. The lakes are open to angling all year. There are three bodies of water:
- North Lake: 105 acres. Stocked spring, summer, and fall with catchable trout. A North Lake daily fishing access permit is charged.
- South Lake: 203 acres. Stocked with catchable trout.
- Lake Merced Impoundment: 17 acres. Not planted with catchable trout.
- Candlestick Park Public Pier: Located south of Candlestick Park, off Hunters' Point Expressway and Jamestown Avenue.
- Fort Mason Piers: Golden Gate National Recreation Area is located in the northern end of Fort Mason, off Marina Blvd., San Francisco.
- Fort Point Pier: GGNRA. Located near Fort Point in the Presidio. From Highway 101 near the Golden Gate Bridge toll plaza take the viewroads to Lincoln Blvd., then to Battery "E" Road to the pier. Closed at night.
- Aqua Vista: In San Francisco on China Basin Street between Pier 64 and Mission Rock Resort.
- Islais Creek Pier: Located on Third Street, two blocks from Army Street in San Francisco.
- Fisherman's Wharf: There are a number of fishing platforms on wharfs extending form Pier 39 to Pier 45 to the Embarcadero in San Francisco.
- Marina Green Jetty: Located in San Francisco, at the end of East Harbor. Take Marina Blvd to Gashouse Cove and then to East Harbor.
- Mission Rock Pier: San Francisco; located at Aqua Vista Park, off China Basin Street, near Mission Rock Resort.
- Municipal Pier: City of San Francisco. Located at the foot of Van Ness Avenue.
- Pier Seven: Located at the end of Broadway in San Francisco.
- Twenty-Fourth Street Pier: Located at the east end of 24th Street in San Francisco near the PG&E plant.
San Mateo County
Steelhead are found in many of the coastal streams. The principal steelhead streams are Pescadero, Gazos and San Gregorio Creeks. Catch-and-release fishing is permitted in the lower portions of coastal streams (See current regulations). Resident trout exist in small numbers in several small streams in the county, mostly on private land. These are closed to angling. See regulations for closures.
Lakes and Reservoirs
Large lakes in San Mateo County used by the City of San Francisco for domestic water storage are closed to the public. No reservoirs are available for the angling public.
- Half Moon Bay Pier: Located on the Pacific Ocean at El Grenada. From Highway 1, go west on Capistrano Road.
- Pacifica Pier: Located in Pacifica. Entry from Bech Blvd. and Santa Rosa. Extends into the ocean from Sharp Park State Beach.
- Redwood City Harbor Pier: From Highway 101 take Seaport Blvd. to the Redwood City Municipal Marina.
- Werder Pier-Foster City: Located at the end of Hillsdale Blvd. next to the Highway 92 Bridge.
- Oyster Point-Ravenswood Fishing Pier: This is the west side of the old Dumbarton Bridge. Take Highway 84 east from East Palo Alto.
- Sierra Point Pier: Located at the Sierra Point Marina in Brisbane. From Highway 101 take Sierra Point Blvd. east to the Marina.