The CRFS Project is currently accepting Scientific Aid applications from highly-motivated and dedicated individuals who would like to work in the field, on and around boats, in a fast-paced setting. To be considered, please send a State Application (Form 678 (PDF Form)) to the following address:
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite 100
Monterey, CA 93940
Fax: (831) 649-7173
Position: Fish and Wildlife Scientific Aid (MR 17-849-858)
Position Number: 565-772-0835-905
Program: California Recreational Fisheries Survey
Location: All Coastal Counties
Starting Salary: $13.55 per hour
Hours: Variable hours up to 40/week. (Seasonal to year-round), Limited to 1500 hours
- Willingness to work irregular hours including weekends and holidays
- Two years of college (60 semester units) with 10 semester units in biological or chemical sciences
- Good communication skills
- Reliable transportation
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license
- Ability to work in adverse field conditions
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
Desired Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to identify marine fish species
- Good organizational skills and ability to keep accurate records and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact positively with the public
- Ability to sample onboard vessels at sea
- Collects recreational fishery data and biological samples at public launch ramps, docks, piers, jetties and beach/banks sites using standardized survey protocols.
- Identifies finfish and invertebrates to species and collects fish lengths, weights and other biological data as needed.
- Conduct onboard sampling of Commercial Passenger Fishing Vessels.
- Performs data entry, reviews, edits and submits data to field supervisor in a timely manner.
Fish and Wildlife Scientific Aid Job Postings by County:
If you have questions about the position please contact the CRFS lead for the appropriate county. In addition to hiring Fish and Wildlife Scientific Aids, the CRFS Project also employs the classifications of Fish and Wildlife Technician and the Environmental Scientist series.