What is the Rod Loan Program (RLP)?
This program provides the opportunity to go fishing with the loan of a rod and tackle box. RLP participants will receive information to help them successfully fish on their own while obeying fishing rules and regulations. Equipment can be borrowed for up to 48 hours from participating locations.
How do you get started with the rod loan program?
- Participate in a Fishing in the City clinic. (see clinic schedule). During the clinic, ask CDFW staff how to obtain a Rod Loan Program card.
- Complete the form and return it to staff. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian's signature is required. Staff will provide you with a fresh RLP card. You are now able to borrow a rod from any of our host sites!
- Take your rod loan card to a host site (see list of host sites below).
How does it work?
Within 48 hours, return the rod and tackle to the host site from which you borrowed it. Make sure it's in good condition and you'll receive your RLP card back for future use. Also, when you return your equipment, complete a short questionnaire to tell us more about your experience. If the rod is returned damaged, your RLP card may be revoked.
- Any person 16 or older must possess a valid fishing license.
- Any person under the age of 18 must have consent of parent or guardian.
- Maximum check-out time for equipment is 48 hours.
- Rod must be returned in working condition.
- All appropriate fishing rules and regulations must be followed.
- Have fun!