A non-fee hunt
CDFW is pleased to provide limited-permit apprentice deer, pig and upland game bird hunting opportunities for junior license holders at Cañada de los Osos Ecological Reserve near Gilroy. The hunts are conducted in coordination with volunteers from the Friends of Cañada de los Osos.
Hunts are scheduled throughout the year and applicants may only apply with the on-line registration link at the bottom of this page. Paper or any other electronic applications are no longer accepted. Due to the high demand, hunters who are unable to attend the hunt for which they are drawn must notify our office within 5 days of being notified that they were successfully drawn. Please only apply for hunt dates you can attend.
Successful applicants will be assigned a volunteer from the Friends of Cañada de los Osos who will act as their guide for the duration of the hunt. Successful applicants must also be accompanied by an adult (age 18 or older) chaperone at all times. Due to the passage of Assembly Bill 711, non-lead ammunition is required for all hunts.
Individuals interested in applying must use the online registration by the appropriate due dates listed below. Hunt applications will become available approximately 45 days prior to their due date. Successful applicants will be selected by random drawing and notified at least two weeks prior to the hunt date.
||Application Start Date
||Application Due Date
||April 6 - 7, 2019
||February 1, 2019
||March 2, 2019
||May 4 - 5, 2019
||February 26, 2019
||April 12, 2019
||September 7 - 8, 2019
||July 2, 2019
||August 16, 2019
||October 5 - 6, 2019
||July 30, 2019
||September 13, 2019
||November 9 - 10, 2019
||September 3, 2019
||October 18, 2019
To apply, go to the License Sales and Service website and follow these instructions:
- Log on using the Junior Hunters Go ID.
- Click "Purchase License".
- Click "2019 Hunting" (under menu on the left side).
- Scroll down to "Drawings", and click on "2019 (Bird) Hunt Drawing Application" (right side).
- Click ADD , which will take you to the Party Selection page.
- Click "Create New Party / Apply Alone", which will open the hunt selections.
- Select up to 3 hunt choices, in your order of preference, and click "submit." A confirmation page will show your choices.
- Review the information on the confirmation page and if correct, click "Submit".
- Check out.
- If you have not already done so, create a CDFW web account. Once you have an account...
- Go to the Apprentice Hunts Application page, and Login as a registered user.
- Click Select and Register for Hunts
- Follow the instructions through the rest of the application process.
Do not include non-hunters on your application.
Online Apprentice Hunts Application